The whole thing started in May, when I was bumming around with my sister. I pointed out a pair of amber earrings that I liked and she promptly bought them for me. Practical person that she is, she noted that she wouldn't remember which ones they were by July, and I might as well enjoy them now.
Then in June when I received a package from my favourite bugs. Technically my Christmas present, but random gifts are more exciting anyway.
It contained a fabulous drawing by the big bug of an orange cat named Cosmo, who happens to look a lot like Rufus. And this apron. There are people who wear aprons and those who don't. I happen to be an apron person. And a slipper person, but that's another story. Anyway, love this gift. Using it constantly and always wishing that my dear friend was hangin' in the kitchen with me.A little closer to the actual date, another package arrived. This one from Karen, filled with six jars of jam and jelly that she made herself. Peach (long gone), jalapeno (gone), strawberry orange (going), blueberry, raspberry and rosemary mint. She also sent a book that I've been wanting to read, but that wasn't available at the public library. Tearing through it. Will post a review when I'm done, but I can tell you now, I think you should read it.

The Thursday before the big day, I invited my friend Kana over with her husband and told her to invite anyone else she would like. Her husband was only in town for a week, so the easiest way for everyone to see him was to have a gathering. Little did I know that it would turn into a party complete with cake, ice cream and gifts for moi. Bliss. The gifts were super thoughtful, too. An invitation to dinner. Liquid kelp for my trees. A recycled rubber tire door mat. Kitchen goodies like French grey sea salt and pomegranate tea. And a good time was had by all, of course.
The weekend of was spent at Asessippi Provincial Park, on the third annual girls camping weekend. This time in a yurt. My birthday consisted of seven hours on the beach, gourmet camp food, and lots of drinks and good conversation around the campfire until 3am. Oh ya, and s'mores.That meant missing a weekend with O. but we made up for it on August long. I always like to guess what he'll get me, and so far I've never been right. This year's tries were a dutch hoe and wind chimes. Actually got my favourite movie on DVD and a CD that I've been longing for by a band that no longer is. Includes the song I love to sing while riding my bike. Thanks, darlin'! Smoochies!
Just when I thought it was over...
Received a lovely pottery bowl from O.'s mom and yesterday I got something in the mail from Whitehorse. How's that for making it last. Let's see... May, June... five months. I used to just call it the 12 Days of Catherine. Must rethink that.
And no birthday would be complete without resolutions. This year, I have three:
1) Drink more water. (So far, not going well.)
2) Quit eating so much junk food!!! (I got into some very bad habits during school last year, but having some success with this one, except for the cake, pie and apple crisp I've eaten this week.)
3) Stop wasting so much time at work. (Um.... ya.)
5 comments:
your kitchen looks great btw!
and i want to yurt with you. ok?!
happy happy belated bday (again!) can't wait to join you!
Ha! Funny you should say that... I tried cropping all the dirty dishes out of the picture but couldn't figure it out. But thanks.
You. Me. Yurt. Ahhhhh.
didn't even notice the dishes.
like the hanging pots and pans and the island. (so do use cast iron now instead of teflon or stainless? we were having a debate about frying pans last night...)
I do still have a teflon pan, but am looking to get rid of it. I use a stainless steal one when possible, but things like eggs are just horrible in it, unless I use a ton of oil.
Have been doing some research and found this very helpful article:
http://ewg.org/news/story.php?id=5362
Love the pictures. I am glad you had fun on your birthday. I was very grateful to have to celebrate mine with me!
Post a Comment