Tuesday, November 14, 2006

three years less a day

Tomorrow is the 3rd anniversary of the date that went something like this:

I had an appointment in the morning with my handsome and wonderful dentist, Dr. Dulat. After getting scraped and cleaned and having four caps applied, I went to pick up O at his apartment. We hadn't seen each other for five years, and that last meeting, after a free performance his band did in Old Market Square, was awkward and brief. Much like the other sporatic meetings we had had over the years since we called our two-year relationship quits back in 1991.

I was pretty nervous and excited when I rang his doorbell. So much so that I actually rang his neighbor's doorbell by mistake. We then headed out for lunch at Niko's. It was non-stop blah blah blah. A lot of catching up to do. Lunch was done, but we weren't. It was a glorious November day, so he walked with me to the Village, where I had to go to buy a tin toy robot for my brother-in-law's birthday. Then we walked back to the car. We still weren't done, so we went for coffee at Bar Italia. Many hours passed and it became dinner time. We went to Sushi Train at the Forks. And finally, when it couldn't be put off any longer, I dropped him off at home. We kissed in his doorway, I got into my little blue car and hit the highway.

One the drive back to Brandon, my floor mat got caught under the accelerator pedal. I leaned down to yank it back into place and crunched over the wheel, I was in the perfect position to see a shooting star blaze across the sky. I took that as a good sign.

Tomorrow, it will be the same. Dr. Dulat in the morning. Then lunch. Then a walk through the village. Then coffee. Then sushi. Then a kiss to start our next year. And then I will get into my little blue car and drive back to Brandon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

love.
you 2 are so good.
happy day! xo

Anonymous said...

Awww! What a happy tale! :-)

Mama D said...

That's a nice story. So happy for you guys.

Anonymous said...

That day marked a huge change in O's life. You have brought so much to his life. I love seeing the changes in him...and I love seeing you together. You are good.

this single spark said...

You are all so sweet. It was a huge change in my life as well. And not just because I have an amazing person (back) in my life who means so much to me... also because I have his family.

Anonymous said...

I could say a lot here, but I don't want you all to start puking. Just let me say that what my Mom said is true. I find it remarkable that two people can have no contact for years and then without any premeditation just pick up where they left off. We are both so lucky to have each other in our lives (okay, so I lied - you can start puking now).

Tracy said...

hmmm i was the first anon. don't know how i did that. you shine...