Tuesday, December 19, 2006

last post before christmas

I'm sitting here with my belly totally stuffed (too many treats at the office) and my wallet empty. 'Tis the season! Probably there will be lots of moaning over the next couple of weeks. Ooooooh.... why did I eat so much? Why did I spend so much?

Funny thing this year is that like most other Canadians, I talked about how I was cutting back. And then didn't. I mean, I did cut back on the number of people that I exchanged gifts with, and I bought fewer gifts, and I made a bunch of them. But I ended up not cutting back on my spending. I bought a few expensive things (not all of them gifts, I admit!) that I hadn't intended to, and as usual I waited until way too late to mail packages and could no longer send them by the cheaper ground mail. Considering that I plan for Christmas all year long, there is no excuse for it.

So, my New Year's resolution is a double diet. At least for January. As of January 2nd, I resolve to not eat cookies, dips, chips, almond bark or any other treats that come my way. I also resolve to not buy anything.

Was inspired by this article which was linked on The Worsted Witch's site. I'll try it for one month, basically following their rules, except I'm going to try not to buy anything except food and two bus tickets to Winnipeg. Since it is only for 30 days, I won't be in need of any new/used clothing, bedding, toilet brushes, etc. Come February... well, we'll see how January goes. In any case, this is more in response to my tight budget than for any environmental or voluntary simplicity reasons. Though those are good too. Just need to give my wallet a rest.

Hope you all have a happy and peaceful holiday!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

feeling the same way. i tried to plan so well this year, but alas, it seemed to get away from me. (time, time, time...!) will try and join in with you on this for january. xo

this single spark said...

then i'll be in good company!

Mama D said...

Yeah, I totally should have taken advantage of the fact that A doesn't care how much or what she gets for Christmas... But she's so fun to buy for...

Sigh.

Have a very Merry Christmas.