Sunday, June 13, 2010

crappy day

Every have one of those days?

O. left this morning for Charlottetown, so I'm on my own until August 23rd. Okay and not okay with this. Bummer that he's gone for the best time of the year. Happy that he has the work. But regardless of my mixed feelings, was sad to see him off at the airport.

Came home and consoled myself with coffee and a good book, watched the second half of the Slovenia/Algeria game, then headed out to the yard to do some gardening (finally a sunny day!). Went to the garage to get tools, and pretty much immediately thought, "where the hell is my bike?". Yep. Garage was broken into via the overhead door. Bike is gone. My three year old, $600 can't-afford-to-replace-it bike is gone. My main form of transportation... gone. Crap. Though in fact, crap is  not the expletive I used. Talked to my neighbour, and her garage door was open on Saturday morning, so I guess it happened Friday night.

First I had a good cry, which is much more useful than it sounds. Then I called the police and filed a report.

Then I called Robert (my hero!) who came over and closed the broken garage door and screwed it shut for the summer, since we don't have the car on the road anyway.

Then I called my sister to ask her to put my ratty old Trek on the bus. She's also my hero. She and her husband loaded it up in their car, and then drove to Portage. I thankfully have my mom's car, so I met them there. The dogs had a good play, Glen put the bike in my mom's car. I drove home, feeling ever so slightly better.

Going to prowl the local pawn shops tomorrow after work and see what I can find, but basically holding out no hope that I'll get my bike back.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

oh hon. so sorry. i have some pics of the girls with their doll house i'll send you. they love it. thank you :)
(p.s. the word verification for this comment is "tragic". how fitting.)

Mama D said...

Boo!!! Why do I feel so murderous towards thieves? I always have to remind myself that it could be SO much worse. I am sorry that you are missing your bike.

It's not long until we come to visit! So please, if you like, think of some extra fun that we might have together while we're there. Something you can look forward to. :) (We sure are!)