Some thoughts on Halifax:
- The mayor of Brandon and a bunch of the business leaders need to take a trip there. ASAP. Downtown Halifax is everything Brandon could be but isn't.... we have the historic buildings but are lacking the quaint and interesting shops, myriad of pubs, variety of restaurants and most importantly, all the people.
- Halifax loves Tom Petty. He was being played in a home decor store, a clothing store and a coffee shop. And not just one song on the radio or on random, but whole albums. When I mentioned this to the clerk in the clothing store, she said (very enthusiastically) "Oh yes! Tom Petty is great!". Feeling the need to download some Tom now.
- Halifax seriously knows how to party.
- The women of Halifax are unbelievably committed to towering, fashionable shoes. They have several great shoe stores that absolutely do not cater to those of us who wear flats. And loads of women can be spotted in 4-inch heels traipsing up 50 degree inclines like it was nothing.
- My limited experience of the city tells me that I could not live there. This is what the weather was like every day:
Picture is the view from my hotel. Totally gorgeous, but by the end of a grey week (during which I still managed to get a sunburn.... you know you're white when...) I was ready to pop a bottle of pills and end it all. Or fly somewhere else...
Like New York! Currently visiting Kana and Brad for a week. We were in the city Sunday and Monday but they are back to work today and I'm resting and trying to get better. Went to see Priscilla on Sunday, did a bit of shopping and hit some of the sights. Yesterday was the MoMA and then brunch at the Sunburnt Calf (which serves unlimited food and booze for $18). Was planning to go back to the city by train on my own tomorrow, but will see how I feel. It's kind of embarrassing and inconvenient to have major coughing fits every couple of hours. Definitely want to have one more day in the city before I leave. Even though it makes me feel like this....
Okay.... maybe I was exaggerating because I knew my picture was being taken.... but Times Square truly was too much for me to take. Complete sensory overload. I felt like I was going to have a seizure from all the flashing signs.

1 comment:
Oh will you please go to New York with me some day? Peter refuses to go and I want to SO BAD!! Get better and have fun. xo
Post a Comment