Yesterday morning was beautiful. The forecast for the evening was showers with a chance of lightning. I thought "beautiful morning, showers this evening..... I'll plant my garden!" Put in everything. Herbs, annuals, tomatoes, plus there are lots of delicate little seedlings popping up. And then...
 |
| torrential rain, hurricane-force winds, hail |
Put pots over the basil and hoped the rest were hardy. You can't tell in the picture but the water between the beds was like a river, gushing out into the back lane (which is much better than it gushing towards the house).
Still raining this morning so I haven't gone out to survey the damage. Some of the lettuce looks like it is covered in mud. Pretty sure the beans and peas will be toast but it's still early enough to replant. Fortunately, I'm a pragmatic gardener. It's just not fun if you're stressed out about it.
2 comments:
Eep! Hail!
Weather amazes me. We live, what? 5 kms apart? And no hail in my neighbourhood at all.
I planted my garden yesterday too. Same reasons as you. Some seedlings took a beating from the downpour, but seem to have survived overall. Hope your greens bounce back.
That's so weird....
Some damage and a couple of deaths but nothing major. Have to replant the cukes but amazingly, everything else made it.
Post a Comment