O and I hosted our first party together last night, a house concert with the fabulous Greg MacPherson and the currently nameless band that O and Claire Therese have recently put together.
So many "wish you were here's". Tried to entice Deb to fly in from Montreal as she seemed like the most likely of my far flung friends to make an impromptu trip to Winnipeg for the weekend but she already had plans. Kana... after so many parties together in Brandon it just felt wrong not to have you here. Especially as the night wound down. You totally should have been on the patio with us, drinking one more drink than was strictly necessary. Tracy... I know you and D would have loved the performances and the cozy atmosphere. Karen... I made tarts galore! Would loved to have spent the afternoon baking with you and debating about crusts. And then watching the guests scarf them back. Danette... well, if you'd been here we probably would have taken advantage of your musical talents.
As it was, we had a good crowd. About twenty friends from both our circles who don't normally hang out but who share quite a few connections. Typical of our demographic, it wasn't a super late night. But it was a good time. My only complaint is that I felt like I didn't get to spend much time with anyone.
Went a bit crazy in the kitchen. Made two kinds of mini quiche, tzatziki, a disappointing white bean dip that needed a lot of tweaking, eggplant fritters (which I forgot to put out until almost everyone was gone), macaroons, chocolate shortbread cookies, and three kinds of tarts (with an unpleasantly chewy cream cheese crust that I won't make again). Also had garden veggies, watermelon, almond stuffed olives, crackers and sweet potato chips. Had so much fun baking. It was kind of the highlight for me, actually.
The music was fantastic. Greg, as always, put on an amazing show and was completely charming. Claire is not a seasoned performer and was a bit nervous at first, but O was rock solid. They've only been playing together for a few months and its impressive how good they are already. Claire's songs are really lovely. She thanked me for putting up with them rehearsing in our house but I honestly don't mind. It's like a free weekly concert!
By the way, if you have any band name suggestions, please leave it in the comments. :]
2 comments:
O'Claire.
(I just like the sound of it. Probably because it reminds me of eclairs.)
Thanks again for the party! It was fun to act like grownups with a social life for a couple of hours.
What an amazing evening! Waaaah, wish I could've been there!
Post a Comment