Tuesday, January 07, 2014

ten books

To help keep Resolution #1 on track, I came up with a list of books I'd like to read this year. In no particular order...

  1. Anna Karenina. Started in October and it got put aside over the holidays. Loving it and will finish. 500 pages from now.
  2. Vimy. On loan from my sister. Have had it quite a while.
  3. Quiet. Um.... because I'm an introvert?
  4. A Scanner Darkly. I don't read much science fiction and don't know the genre very well. But I've really like what I have read (Bradbury and Gibson mainly) and think that Dick is the next logical step. 
  5. Pippi Longstocking. Okay, fine, not exactly keeping with my resolution but we just got this in at work and I adored it as a kid. I totally wanted to live in an old house with a monkey and a horse. Got the old house...
  6. Wolf Hall. Recommended by Elizabeth but also referenced in a Vanity Fair article about the King James Bible. Piqued my interest.
  7. North and South. As a change from reading Pride and Prejudice over and over.
  8. Burial Rites. Just sounds interesting. I like historical fiction. With murder. Set in Iceland. 
  9. Tombstone Blues. Totally looking forward to local author Chadwick Ginter's follow-up to Thunder Road. 
  10. At least one of the Smiley novels. Want to read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy because it's such a classic but feel like I should start at the beginning.
I'm happy with my list. Have a couple of Canadians, nice mix of genres, something old, something new. I'm sure I'll be reading more than 10 books in 2014 so please send recommendations!

No comments: