Just so y'all don't think I do nothing but complain, I'll start this post with a funny story.
Back when I was Book Store Girl, I helped an older gentleman whose first language was not English. The details of our interaction are lost to me, but I do recall that he had an excellent experience. Was I extra charming that day? Did we simply connect in that way that strangers sometimes do? Dunno. All I know is that he sent a note of gratitude to my boss. The whole incident is foggy, but the wording of his note is burned forever in my mind, because I was razzed for weeks after. He wrote:
Miss Catherine gave me a very good service.
Ahhhh. Great. Thanks, sir. My cheeks will stop burning eventually.
Now for my (fairly mild) rant...
Remember a few weeks ago when I posted about the great clothes I picked up at Closet Chick? While I was there, I asked the owner about selling clothes on consignment. She buys outright, it turns out, and said I should phone back in August to set up an appointment. So last week I called and left a message. No reply. Monday I called again. No reply. Tonight I am phoning for the third and final time. This is what I plan to say:
Hi Lorraine. Catherine calling again. I've left two messages in the last week about setting up an appointment to sell some clothes and I haven't heard back from you. I'd like to express my disappointment at this shoddy treatment. I was really impressed by your shop, enough to tell other people about it, but I am now going around telling people about the fact that you haven't returned my calls. If you aren't buying or don't want to buy from me, I'd appreciate it if you took the time to let me know. I'm not simply trying to make money off you, I've spent money in your shop and I would like to continue to do so, but I won't support businesses that treat me poorly. If you would like to phone and apologize or offer an explanation, you may reach me at...
How's that sound?
I worked for 14 years in various retail and food service jobs. Long enough to have a healthy appreciation for the crap that clerks have to put up with. I'm quick to compliment when I get good service, both to the person and to their boss. But I also have certian expectations and I'm not afraid to complain. Constructively. Not going to freak out and yell or anything.
Being ignored is almost worse than being treated badly. Feeling very irked.
3 comments:
So I called the store and the owner actually answered. I explained who I was, and she said she thought she had caught up on returning calls and apologized profusely.
I was all prepared to let her know how unimpressed I was, but this is a happier ending. Dropping off my things next month.
ah miss catherine. glad this turned out well. we are having a tough time having calls returned from the painter who did our exterior last summer - and this summer it is all peeling off! too soon don't you think. will call him again now... inspired by your calm yet firm approach!!
Contractors are the worst! But persistence pays off. So far I've had my windows, shingles and sidewalk replaced. I want to give them my money! But it is such a pain (a) trying to find someone to give my money to, and (b) actually getting them to finish the job.
Way too soon for your paint to be peeling. Good luck!
Post a Comment