Tuesday, November 21, 2006

fat is a state of mind

Two disclaimers:
1) I am in no way complaining or even implying that I am fat. I am smack-dab in the middle of the healthy weight range according to the BMI, and I am fully aware of that.
2) I know that there is a medical definition of fat, and that it isn't just related to how you feel about yourself.

That said, 10 weeks into school, I feel fat. I sit all day at a computer, and spend much of my evenings sitting at a desk. I'm working extra hours to make up the time that I've taken off to sit in a classroom. I usually walk to work, but now I'm driving three days a week because I can't make it from the university to the hospital in 10 minutes. My diet is terrible because I have so little spare time to shop and cook. And so, I feel sluggish and flabby and unhappy with my body.

It's horrible.

But I'm not looking for sympathy. I know everyone feels like this sometimes. I also know that, how I'm feeling aside, I've got it pretty good. I've always been a size medium, even if right now I'm not a happy medium (haha) .

Trying to take some action to get myself out of this funk. Have signed up for yoga on Monday evenings with my sis. Have actually been to the gym a couple of times lately, though my bunion is holding me back a bit (yes, bunion.... more on that another time). And heading home to make chili to go with the corn muffins I whipped up yesterday. And maybe lift weights, we'll see. That's basically all I can do except hang in there for 3 more weeks. Once this semester is over, my time should be a bit more flexible and I'll be able to take care of myself better.

Until then.... I want my mommy. And guess what? She's taking me out for dinner on Thursday. Not that going out for dinner will help with the feeling fat issue. I'll probably order fries or pizza or something. But at least I'll feel taken care of.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

i hear you sweetheart! i didn't think about the benefit that walking em to school each morning would have on me. even though it is a short 3 minute walk - i do it 4 times a day and that little bit of fresh air and movement has made so much difference from all the sitting i usually do. love u!

Mama D said...

Yeah. Me too. Not enough time. I always feel like I'm making excuses but I know how much I used to work out pre-A. Oh well, it's a stage. And as you said once the semester things will be better!