Elliot isn't the only one with a mouse problem. Though, in reality, mine is more of a cat problem. On Saturday, I picked up what I thought was a dead mouse in order to put a stop to the insane cat fight that was going on in the kitchen. Turned out the cats were so busy fighting each other for the wee rodent that neither of them actually killed it. The poor thing was petrified, and suddenly, I found that I had inadvertantly rescued it from certain (eventual) death. I let it recover and dry off for an hour in a granola bar box, at which point my dear friend Craig showed up. Thank goodness for farm boys! He a) confirmed that it was not a deer mouse and therefore I didn't need to worry about Hanta virus, b) said that it might live if I put it outside, and most importantly c) said he'd take care of it. In my mind, that darling mouse is living happily ever after in the unmowed grass by the dumpster. And needless to say, I bought Craig a coffee.
Today, I received this email from my dad (and for those of you who don't know my dad, this is a pretty typical email):
Hi Catherine and Colin,
Just a few words to let you know ,I' m still basking in sunny California, 23 CEL today and sunny ,no wind,wish you were here, I need a visit, you are too far away.
Going to Honolulu Jan 26th for 2 weeks from Victoria ,three days in Victoria before then. Keeping busy killing gophers with Cianide pills in their hole in the ground and a little water, and poof ,gone, also dancing and golfing.
Love Dad
So, my question is (and mom, if you're reading, perhaps you can offer some insight), how can I possibly be related to this man?!? It's the last sentence that particularly confounds me. And repulses me. It's a mystery. Unless my mom has something she needs to tell me about the mailman? Mom?
7 comments:
Is it wrong that I am laughing? Mostly at the Catherine and Colin part. I was actually expecting Catherine and Frances (Mike).
That last part is something my dad would write to me too. If he wrote to me.
To clarify, my brother is also named Colin. Not a reference to cc, though knowing my dad, that is totally within the realm of posibility. He can't really remember O's name, it took 3 years for him to start calling my brother-in-law Glen instead of Len, and after 13 years with Bruce in my life, my dad still didn't know who he was and introduced himself every time they met. Hmmm.... maybe he does mean cc? But that would mean he would actually have to remember him. I think it's more likely that he is able to remember his own son.
Oh, and by the way, last night I cleaned blood up off the kitchen floor. Not mouse blood. Cat blood. Not a lot, but the fact that there was any gives you some idea of how badly each of them wanted that mouse.
oh honey. i have to laugh. your dad. too much. you are definately your mama's daughter!!!(does your dad call o mike??) xo
No, the Mike thing is a long and hilarious story. I'll keep it as brief as possible. My dad asked me to send him a current picture. The most recent, decent one I had was taken at a party I threw. I was sitting on the floor with Frances in my lap. Also, on the edge of the picture, was a guy I know named Mike. I put on the back of the picture "me and Frances." My dad emails to thank me for the picture and tells me that Frances is a handsome guy. I'd only had my cat for, oh, 10 years or so at that point. Anyway, poor Mike got called "Handsome Frances" for quite a while after that.
LOL!! Handsome Frances!
So maybe you're a red-headed stepchild, eh? Or maybe you'll become more callous about killing small animals as you get older...
too funny!!!
Post a Comment