Saturday, January 06, 2007

green christmas

The weather outside was actually pretty good. Except for the 30cm of snow. We definitely had a white Christmas. But inside, around the tree, things were actually pretty green. Wrapping, giving and receiving.

O and I spent Christmas proper in Brandon with my family. Had a good day eating way too much and sitting around the tree. Fave gifts? O gave me a book I’ve been coveting since we went to the modernist architecture show at the WAG. My mom gave me the loveliest, softest sweater. And a blender. But the topper this year was from my sister…. Introducing Marg Gottfried. At least that’s the name on the bottom, along with the date January 1971. Marg and I are practically the same age.
New Year’s weekend was spent in Winnipeg with O’s family. Dinner with his dad had to be postponed when his dad woke up sick on Saturday morning. New Year’s Eve was spent at his brother and sister-in-law’s house, celebrating with their mom. Again, a relaxing, no-stress evening spent enjoying each other’s company, eating amazing food (mostly prepared by O’s mom) and exchanging presents. Fave gifts this evening were a gorgeous necklace from O’s mom and a great fair trade t-shirt in the most wonderful lawn green that looked awesome on me… except that it didn’t fit. Dang! Bigger size is now in my possession.

This was also the year of the gift card. And once my Buy Nothing January is over, I look forward to browsing around McNally Robinson and MEC. Since I will be buying food, I get to spend the Organza gift card right away.

On the giving side, I had a pretty crafty Christmas. Especially considering how busy school got in December. Sent relish to the Bugs, and dried herbs from my garden to Karen (T - now that you've seen the festive packages of herbs, you'll understand why you didn't get any!). Made mittens for Deb, bag for O’s sister-in-law, and a “winsome cap” for his niece. Actually have a picture of the cap, but you’ll have to be satisfied with the Martha link since I’m not comfortable posting pics of other people’s kids. It turned out really well, if I do say so myself, and the aforementioned niece seemed pretty excited about it. Which is gratifying because there is way more a stake emotionally when you make something, rather than buy it.

For O, I got him (ahem… us) tickets to Rocky Horror at MTC. Going tonight. Still trying to decide what to wear. Boa? Fishnets? Red lipstick? Or am I more of a Janet? Actually, the truth is, I've only seen the movie once, at my sister's place, and no one did the time warp there, so I'm a little unprepared for what I'm getting myself into. Should be fun!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

oh you are good.

and that frog. oh my!

will call soon! xo

Anonymous said...

It's all your fault! I now looove Jolica and have purchased myself two birthday presents from there. What a fantastic idea! I only wish I had the money to become one of their consultants and start selling the stuff.
Those mittens are really great! If I paid you, would you make me some socks like that? I suffer from constantly cold feet.

Mama D said...

That hat is AMAZING! Love it. So what did you wear to RHPS?

this single spark said...

Melissa - I sewed the mittens with felted wool, so I'm not sure if they would make good socks. But I have a slipper pattern too, if that would be okay! Let me know.

Mama D - so is that a request for next birthday. ;]

Wore black turtleneck sweater and jeans. Needed to decide before I went to Wpg, and O couldn't decide what he was going to wear, so I went basic. Didn't want to be dressed up if I didn't have a partner! Such a chicken...