Wednesday, April 23, 2008

just in time for bike season

Have had no energy lately. Blood test yesterday revealed low iron stores. One of the risks of being vegetarian. At my previous job in a health and medical library, I constantly had Becoming Vegetarian by Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis checked out. I'm a pretty good cook and the recipes in this book aren't the greatest, but I relied on the nutritional advice. Obviously, I need a constant reminder on my kitchen counter.

So, tonight I made tabouleh to take for lunches. As per the recipe, 1 cup of parsley (high in iron, copper and calcium). Also added 1/4 c. of bran (high in iron, copper and zinc), which hopefully I won't be able to taste. Chick peas, tomatoes and cukes to round it out. Lemon juice, olive oil. Damn healthy, I say.

Low iron also gives me an excuse to not weed the dandelions out of my lawn this summer. Learned at the food conference last month that dandelions are high in vitamins A and C, and iron. Also learned that you can make a coffee substitute from the roasted root. But not quite convinced that it would be as satisfying as the real thing.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

oh the woes of anemia. i hear you girlfriend - though not ready for the dandelions yet ;) xo

this single spark said...

The greens are quite good. Bitter, but sort of like arugula. It's weird, though, spending $4.50 on dandelion greens in the market seems so normal. Plucking them for free out of my yard seems so *kooky*! Serious disconnect there. Once we've had our yard for a bit and I feel comfortable that all the pesticides potentially used by the previous owner have broken down, will probably feel less weird. Just have to keep the neighborhood dogs away from them! ;]