Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Chelsea Court

Had a dream about Chelsea Court on Monday night. I lived there, in 4D, back in the early 90s but it will always hold a special place in my heart because O and I met at a party in 4E (attic suite of building pictured). Last summer, there was a flurry of activity to try and get heritage status for the complex, but that ultimately failed. The plan now is to tear it down and put up a single apartment building with parking at ground level. Whatever they build, I know it won't match the charm of the old place.

Chelsea Court was built in 1914. By the time I moved in, it was very neglected. Since then, the landlord has allowed it to deteriorate to the point of no return. The cost of renovating and making it liveable again would be huge. In my dream, I won $272 million in a US lottery (I wish!). After taxes, I still had enough money to buy Chelsea Court, fix it up and move in. Walking home yesterday, I was wishing my dream was reality. Was planning in my head how if I could buy it, I would renovate it as state of the art eco-condos. Of course, O and I would live happily ever after in 4E.

Off to buy a lottery ticket now.

7 comments:

Elliot said...

Oh man! They failed? Damn it!

Seeing as I live right across the street from those buildings, I'm really gonna miss them when they go. They're so charming and graceful looking, from the outside at least. Just they way they have those sheltered courtyards between them, with trees growing in the middle... it sends a message about a shared civic life, a world where green space and regular people and communities matter.

What we don't need is another great looming concrete monstrosity.

If you do win the lottery and restore them, I'll help you. I can swing a hammer at least.

Mama D said...

That is sad. There are so many cool places that are neglected and then enivitably torn down. Apparently our house was getting that way before it was purchased and worked on. We would love to put money into it and restore it as well... but, the money. hmmm lottery ticket...

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tracy said...

oh nooooo! so many good memories in the building. you and o filling them! and kitties too. so sad. any chance of trying to save it again? so many people in the arts have lived there i wonder if there is anyone prominent who could help??

great photo btw

this single spark said...

Response to tracy:
I think it is a done deal. Fred Penner lived there at one time, and I know he was very active in trying to save it. As were many other people, including a city counsellor.
After I read your comment, I remembered that the first time I introduced you and O was in Andrea's kitchen in 2B. It sticks out in my mind because after you left, he said "Man, she has great legs!" Even though he and I were pretty new, I couldn't feel jealous or insecure... all I could do was agree. Yes, yes she does.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the legs: it's true.

Tracy said...

ok you 2 - you're making me blush!