Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Foo-ey

Had concert tickets for tonight, but O ended up taking one of his friends as I'm sick AGAIN!!!! Five horrible colds in five months, plus a noro-virus thrown in for good measure. Spending my evening in bed drinking ginger tea boiled with rat root. If anyone knows any other miracle cures, I'm open to suggestions.

Karen has recommended nasal irrigation, as seen on Oprah (and just so that doesn't seem so flaky, the Mayo Clinic recommends it as well.) Any other ideas please!

11 comments:

HJW said...

Poor baby. Go for the nasal irrigation. I have been doing it for years (low tec).
I believe in oil of oregano. It has got me through the winter.
Blessings.

HJW said...

an important p.s.
take it with apple juice its the only thing that works

Unknown said...

oh babe. dare i ask what concert you missed?

my sinuses have been a wreck this yr. i am summing it up to stress. and - yes - have actually been shopping around for a neti pot...

hugs

Anonymous said...

Cat:

I have been using the nasal irrigation since last summer and I have not had ANY sinus infection since. It works like a charm.
The one I use is from NeilMed.
Also 1 clove of minced raw garlic mixed with maple syrup ( to help the garlic go down easier) everyday. Remove the green germ in the middle of the clove before mincing.
KM

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add that I haven't actually tried it yet, but accidentally saw it on Oprah. Glad to hear that it works! I've developed horrible allergies since living in BC, and was going to pick one up so I can maybe stay off the Benedryl, which knocks me out.

Brad G said...

My Peanut butter squares aren't good
for the sinuses but they will cheer you up.

BG

right from the doublewide kitchen

this single spark said...

Man, the nasal irrigation seems to be the thing. Can't believe how many people I know do this. Guess it just isn't something that comes up in everyday conversation!Shopping for a NetiPot this weekend.

And thanks for the other tips. Will try them one by one and see what works for me. Except for the peanut butter squares. Will try those with everything.

T - Foo Fighters. Which is okay, because I like them, but don't love them. Still... out 60 bucks...

HJW said...

As I said, I go low tech with the nasal irrigation. I use a squishy ear syringe, half a cup of boiling water to disolve a quarter teaspoon of salt top up to a full cup with cold water. Test on my wrist so that the solution is baby bottle temp. Some books say you need half a teaspoon salt but I'm a delicate soul. If you need advise on the snorting let me know. But you should do it when you are alone as it sounds disgusting. The solution has to be warm enough or you will retch!!! Blessings

Anonymous said...

Neil Med is the ticket.
http://www.unimedprod.com/

I like the beaker it reminds me of Mr Friesen, ok, so, fine....

One problem with table salt ...iodine,

I think the prepackaged mix has baking soda as well.

Use only boiled water and wash your hands. It seems to work and if nothing, it's like drowning a bit and it does dislodge some debris.

BW

Elliot said...

:-( poor sick spark...

Delilah C. Bluefoot said...

Is nasal irrigation one of these things that lots of people do but we're too embarrassed to talk about? Nasal irrigation totally works! I was introduced to the magical neti pot during my yoga teacher training, and it really works. Although I lost my neti pot in a move ... so have to shop for a new one too! If you already have an infection though, you might need to see a doctor. Oh, Acupuncture? Too bad you missed out on the Foo Fighters ;(