Sunday, December 23, 2012

fortune (?) cookies

Spent six bloody hours making fortune cookies today. Quel désastre! I put great faith in Martha's recipes but this one was baaaaad. The oven was too hot, the cookies too small.... Checked out some other recipes online and adjusted as I went along. In the end, I got enough good ones for tomorrow evening but I'm super grouchy now. And still have an evening of baking and cooking ahead. I see a glass of wine in my near future...
First attempt. Oven at 400 F as per recipe.
Lowered to 300 F after this mess. 
Second attempt. Damn thing wouldn't unstick from the pan.
Wasted quite a bit of batter this way, then borrowed a
non-stick pan from my next door neighbour.

Third attempt. Temperature is good. Pan is good.
Folding technique needs work. You have to work fast,
and the bottom of the cookie should be on the inside.

Finally!

Managed a dozen half-way decent cookies.
Recipe is supposed to make 3 1/2 dozen.
Ugh.
Thankfully my other baking turned out great
or I'd be hanging up my apron.

Our fourth year taking baking to our neighbours.
Was a good way to meet people the first year
and we've kept up the tradition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look good!
Lot of.work
BW