Doing my thesis on the corporatization of breast cancer (that's the short description of the project and trust me, you are going to get sick of hearing me talk about it) and therefore have been reading a ton of articles. One of the main points that keeps coming up is how the focus of corporate campaigns is on finding a cure, rather than on prevention. And the suggested conclusions are that (a) corporations don't want to prevent breast cancer (or cancer, period) because too much money can be made from treating it, and (b) companies use lots of chemicals that have been linked to cancer and don't want to be held accountable.
Case in point is the cosmetics industry. They are chock full of potentially cancer-causing agents such as parabens, phthalates, and thousands of other unregulated chemicals. That's right... unregulated. The cosmetic industry does have standards, but they do not need to list what ingredients are in their products, and the vast majority of chemicals used have not been tested. The cosmetic industry defends itself by saying that these chemicals are used in such small quantities that they are not harmful. However, no studies have been done on long-term use or cumulative effects.
So...
Because I'm growing out of being a freaky girl and into being a crazy old lady (currently in the transition stage), I've stopped wearing make-up. It's not a hard and fast rule, but I no longer apply powder, blush and lipstick every morning. I think I'll still be inclined to use lipstick on occassion, and to use the rest of it when I'm dressing up. I have good skin, so I'm lucky. And it has been even better since I stopped using these products about a month ago. I know I never wore much anyway. Maybe you're shocked to learn that I wore any at all. Those of you who see me in person can judge for yourselves, and be honest, could you tell that I wasn't wearing make-up the last time you saw me? Didja even notice??
And now, some websites for further education, if you are so inclined:
CBC Marketplace - Cosmetics and the Cancer Connection
Breast Cancer Action - Cosmetics Companies and Breast Cancer
Environmental Working Group - Skin Deep (just click "No Thanks" to get into the site)
Environmental Health Association of NS -Guide to Less Toxic Producs (permanently linked on the left)

One last thing...
Do hair metal bands, drag queens and Elizabeth Taylor know about this?
11 comments:
Freaky girl, or crazy old lady? Hmm, which to choose...
Oh yeah, I forgot: make sure they get your good side, good side.
I must admit that I thought you looked haggard and awful without makeup...
No, no, you're right, I didn't notice you weren't wearing any. It's strange, I think most of the female-type people I know either don't wear make-up or do so only rarely.
Ya Elliot... you really caught me at my best that morning. No make-up, bed head, forgot the cinnamon buns... Good thing you and Mel were in a similar state!
Yeah, we were all somewhat out-of-it...
just a little powder for me. it has an spf and i like the idea of extra prevention in that area - 'specially down here. (and the guide to less toxic site is bookmarked)
you are gorgeous. naturally. always! (freaky or crazy)
hey - what is your calendar like the first week of april??
My calendar is totally wide open, if you are asking because you might be visiting then! Really, really hope so!!!
I know Aveda makeup makes a point of not using chemicals in their make-up, make-up. (nice Adam Ant reference by the way) But I think you look lovely make-uped or not. (That lipstick you tried on was very nice. I bought some myself!)
trying to book something. really really want to! will let you know... xo
Mama D - Sadly it ain't that simple. Though you are right... Aveda is better than alot of companies. And they already list their ingredients. And they have an environmental and sustainability program. AND I do love that lipstick. ;]
T - fingers and toes crossed!
I gave up make-up a year or more ago and I don't think anyone's even noticed. And if they have I don't really care (see Spark post regarding beauty & turning 25 for similarities). It feels so good not to have goop on my face that needs to be scrubbed off before bed each night. *shudder*
But anyway, I was really posting a comment because I thought that *I* was the only one who'd realized how commercialized breast cancer cure stuff was becoming! I'm totally fascinated by the idea that you are doing an entire THESIS on the concept and I hope you'll post more about it.
Anactoria,
by-way-of-Elliot-the-Claw
Post a Comment