Monday, November 19, 2012

new york diary - day 8

Buoyed by yesterday's success navigating to the grocery store, I decided to make my way to an outlet mall about 40 minutes away. On the map it looked easy. Left turn, drive straight, right turn. No problem. Except that there were 4 roundabouts, a toll bridge and a scary, snaky, skinny highway between me and the mall. I do not love shopping so if I had known I probably would have just spent another day at home.

Was successful in buying a bunch of stuff for very little cash once I got there. 4 pairs of pants, 2 button down shirts, long sleeved t-shirt and two sweaters for about $260. Then, with full knowledge of what lay ahead, I made my way back.

The Bear Mountain Hwy is the second scariest road I have been on. Hwy 1 to Big Sur in California being the first. The snaky was okay it was the skinny I had a hard time with. Nothing like taking a blind corner and meeting a truck that is over the centre line because they are too big for their lane. And I find it weird because Americans like big vehicles.

But anyway.... home safe. Deb made me a lovely dinner and took care of me. Spending the rest of the evening with a big glass of wine.

Stir fried veggies with peanut sauce over rice and lentils
Yummy salad with cashews and avacado
(Photo courtesy of Deb's phone)

No comments: