Jane Jacobs is one of those writers whom I've always meant to read. A couple of weeks ago, I decided it was ridiculous that I had never gotten around to her and picked up The Nature of Economies. I had been intending to buy Dark Age Ahead, but the store was out of stock. Perhaps it is just as well, given my recent tendency to be depressed by the world.
Today when I read that Jane Jacobs had died, I felt profoundly sad. She was 89, so I guess it wasn't really a shock, but it still feels like a great loss. Although I have read none of her books, I have heard her interviewed several times and have been riveted by what she had to say.
I am currently reading Emma (again) and a book on swearing called Expletive Deleted that O's mom gave me for my birthday last year, but The Nature of Economies has just rocketted to the top of my summer reading list. It seems important that I finally find out what one of the great thinkers of our time had to say.
5 comments:
I feel terrible - I don't even know her work! Is she known in the US? or mainly Canada (I noted she was born here but has been in Canada since the 60s) Love it if you'd make me a summer reading list! (Currently reading Colour by Victoria Finlay and a Matisse bio)
Jane Jacobs wrote what is considered to be a seminal work on urban planning, called The Death and Life of Great American Cities. That was in the 60s. I'll let you know what I think of the book I bought. It seemed like it might be one of her more accessible titles.
Summer reading list is forthcoming!
I saw a blurb about her death on Cananda AM this morning. I also had never heard of her. She looked so sweet in the footage they showed. Since I don't read anymore, aside from instructions for things and blogs, you'll have to tell me how it is.
Speaking of the great thinkers of our time... are you still planning to come into the city this weekend? And maybe help us move? :-) The big move will be on Saturday, but we'll be moving littler stuff on Friday too.
Eve Tushnet just posted a little somethin'-somethin' on Jane Jacobs:
http://eve-tushnet.blogspot.com/2006_05_01_eve-tushnet_archive.html#114669236112900997
Post a Comment