Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Wednesday is Green

Since my good friend put a link on her blog to mine and told the world that I am her green inpiration (thanks darlin'!) I thought I'd better write something enviro.

Today's post is about my killer mobile*. Back in 1990, I bought my Trek Antelope moutain bike and I've put many kms on it since. Wish I'd been keeping track. I am a city biker, not an off roader, and as much as possible, the good ol' Trek is my transportation. I should qualify this by saying I do not bike once the snow and ice arrive. I could handle the cold, I'm just too chicken/sensible. In winter, I walk.

This has some very positive outcomes. It is great for the environment. No internal combustion engine can beat my fuel efficiency (though it also means I don't get many chances to say "squeeze, suck, bang, blow"). It helps keep me in shape. Also good for my mental state, which has been needing some improving as of late.

Two issues that seem to be constantly in the media these days are obesity (just this week, an article on kids requiring heftier car seats, and how men and kids are getting fat at a faster rate than women) and climate change. Could the two be related?! Hmmmmm.

For inspiration and perspiration, I direct you to the National Center for Bicycling and Walking. Help keep our planet green and nourishing, and keep yourself healthy and fit!

*On My Bike by Roots Roundup (Vancity band that I loved back when my bike and I first met, lyrics from memory)

When I'm on my bike
I feel great 'cause everything is alright
When I'm ridin' on my killer mobile
Let me tell you now, tell you how I feel

Like a rock and roll band
Chugging away
Over hills and down valleys
I could ride all day
If I'm not happy with the way I'm feelin'
I jump on my bike for some fun and two wheelin'

....that's all I got! Off to jump on my trusty steed and boot it to my mom's for dinner.

6 comments:

Elliot said...

"sqeeze, suck, bang, blow"

I guess I'm naive, but - huh?!?

this single spark said...

That's how an internal combustion engine works. Sorry, I think I got that mixed up. Suck = intake, squeeze = compression stroke, bang = well, bang..., blow = exhaust. Spent a couple years to many at Victory Lane. Hardly enviro.

Mama D said...

Audrey and I have gone for a walk every day this week. Only it was for pleasure and exercise. I still drove her to my sisters and myself to work... it just works better that way.

this single spark said...

Yes... much easier for me to haul just myself around on a bike. Totally different when you have kids and all their accoutrements.

By the way, anytime you want help planning your garden, just ask!

Tracy said...

love ya! i need my own killer mobile! (where did you order your new wheels from?) xo

this single spark said...

I'm getting my new bike through Stream 'n Wood. But you can check out all their bikes on this site:
http://www.giantbicycle.com/cn/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10813