Tuesday, May 30, 2006

mixed tape

I haven't had time to really process Greg's death, but I've thought of nothing else since I heard the news. It has stirred up all sorts of feelings about friendship, love, the symbolic meaning attached to relationships. About quality of life. About death and grief. I need time to deal with my thoughts and emotions.

Therefore, today's post (since it has been a while) is going to be frivolous. I'm not ready to write about the other stuff, and that's all I've had on my mind.

So, in no particular order, 10 songs I'll always love...

1. Veronica by Elvis Costello
O and I were listening to this tape the morning I heard that Greg was gone. I woke up with the lyrics "do the days fly by? did the favors wane?" in my head and it took me ages to figure out what they were from. Unfortunately, they work really well to the tune of Harvest by Neil Young, so that got me off track. If it wasn't for the Archie comics association, I'd consider Veronica as a name for a future daughter. Or cat. That's how much I love this song.

2. Pressure Drop by Toots and the Maytals
Fact is, I like reggae. A lot. I like Toots, too. I never get sick of him. And this is one of his that I like more than everything else. Ya, ya, The Clash and The Specials have made good versions, but nothing beats the original.

3. Train in Vain by the Clash
Speaking of The Clash. "You say you stand, duh-duh-duh, by your man, duh-duh-duh..." It isn't even playing (except in my head) and I want to get up and dance.

4. Innocent When You Dream (Barroom version) by Tom Waits
I'm a sucker for Tom Waits, singing low and powerful, but add a drunken swagger to the delivery, and I swoon. Beautiful. Beautiful.

5. Under Pressure by David Bowie and Freddy Mercury
I'm not sure that I can explain why this one is one the list. Do I need to? Do y'all get it?

6. Victoria by The Fall
The Fall can be a difficult band to love, but even those (like O) who appreciate them but don't love them, must agree that this is a great song. Love the glass smashing, love the lyrics, love the beat, love the melody. And heck, Mark E. Smith is practically singing.

7. You Make Me Want to Wear Dresses by Lisa Germano
This one always takes me back to the summer of 1994. I was working at Candlewood books in Brandon. My bestest friend and I got all dolled up and drove into the big city in my boyfriend's Mercury Meteor. This song reminds me of the prairies, of long summer days, of hot wind on bare legs. Of my boss, Don, unable to get this tune out of his head (if you know what he looks like, you'll understand how hilarious this is). And I do love to wear dresses.

8. No Woman, No Cry by Bob Marley
This songs comes on? Woman, cry. It's embarassing, but it happens every time. I can't explain why. I have no particular sentimental attachmentment. The wail at the beginning gets me misty, and by the "everythings gonna be alright" I'm a river.

9. Straight to You by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
There are plenty of Nick Cave songs that I will never tire of, but I regularly come back to this one. Boatman's Call reminds me of breaking up with Warren and all the sorrow and regret that went along with moving out of our home. Somethings Got a Hold of My Heart will always overwhelm me with teenage angst. The Ship Song is about O and everything I thought we could be to each other back then. But this song has no baggage. I can belt it out with abandon. (And I do.)

10. Heart of Gold by Neil Young
Just love this song. 'Nuff said.

Bonus Track: Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen
Like all of Cohen's songs, I prefer them when they are performed by someone else. The John Cale version, off the tribute album I'm Your Fan, is the one that gets me every time.

4 comments:

Elliot said...

Good music = Woot! I'm going to have to check some of those out.

Reggae = Solid gold.
I'm going to have to make you a mix CD of some of my newer discoveries one of these days.

Mama D said...

Thanks for the gardening help yesterday. How's your back?
I haven't heard several of these songs. I think I should especially listen to You Make Me Want to Wear Dresses by Lisa Germano since I do know what Don looks like! The thought of him in a dress is pretty funny.

this single spark said...

Elliot - Please do!!!

Dawn - No problem. Hope you take some pics of our hard work to post! Will loan you the CD next time we get together.

Tracy said...

YOU make me want to wear dresses.

missing you so much. more than usual because i think summer has arrived and i long (i mean really long!) for a gin and tonic on the stoop with you...