Ahhh…. The good ol’ Brandon Sun (or BS, as I like to call it.) Over a month ago, I contacted the editor on behalf of the Sexual Health Committee (which I sit on) about running an article for the National Day Against Homophobia on the topic of homophobia in the workplace. Direct quote from the editor: “That sounds fantastic.” I spent many hours working on the article (I knew the facts, but I wanted to get the tone right, so I kept fiddling with it) and got it to the editor a week ago as he had requested. Today, I grabbed the paper to see the article. Can you guess where this is going? Right. It had not been printed.Our other local paper, the weekly Wheat City Journal, also agreed to run an article. It was also submitted well in advance of the deadline, but it did not appear in last Thursdays edition. It (supposedly) will run tomorrow. A day late.
The posters for this year’s campaign say that homophobia is becoming more subtle. As subtle as, say, newspaper editors suppressing stories about the day that is supposed to bring awareness to the problem? Just in case you are thinking that Brandon sucks when it comes to these kinds of issues, the local television station had myself, another member of the Sexual Health Committee and a local gay activist on the Noon Hour Show on Monday. My bit was mercifully short. The program was excellent. The host personally knew the activist, so she was very frank about what she was asking, but also very supportive in the way she framed questions. The Sexual Health Committee is also running Ally Training today, and have 30 people signed up from various workplaces.
Since the BS didn’t print my article, I’ll do it myself. Here it is in all its glory:
May 17th is the National Day Against Homophobia. The purpose of this annual event is to raise awareness of homophobia’s harmful effects and to work against exclusion. This year, the campaign targets homophobia in the workplace. Employers, co-workers, unions, corporations and professional organizations all play a role in creating a respectful and prejudice-free work environment.
What is Homophobia?
Homophobia is a negative attitude, feeling or behaviour towards those who are not heterosexual, which includes individuals who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or two-spirited. Homophobia takes on many forms in the workplace and it is becoming more subtle. Homophobia is: not hiring someone because you suspect they are not heterosexual, denying opportunities because of sexual orientation, harassment or violence, homophobic comments, jokes or slurs, shunning, insinuations, insults or threats. Homophobia creates feelings of isolation and fear.
What are Our Rights and Responsibilities?
The Manitoba Human Rights Code and the Canadian Human Rights Act protect employees from being discriminated against because of their sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, marital status, or religion. Employers cannot refuse to hire or continue to employ a person, treat an employee differently from others, exclude employees from membership in an organization, or pay lower wages based on the employee’s actual or presumed sexual orientation. It is the employer’s responsibility to make sure that personal information is kept confidential. Employers must also protect their employees from discrimination or harassment.
Although legal protections are in place, discrimination often goes unseen or unchallenged. There may be a lack of understanding and awareness, or a fear of being singled out. Everyone is affected by homophobia, and it is up to the employer and all employees to build a culture of respect.
Ways to Create a Respectful Workplace
Implement anti-discrimination or anti-harassment policies
Offer awareness training on human rights issues
Invite significant others work-related social events
Have a benefit package that acknowledges same-sex relationships
Equally acknowledge the relationships of your co-workers, colleagues, or clients by ensuring, for example, that anniversaries, births, and marriages/union ceremonies are celebrated in the same way, and that all partners are acknowledged
Report incidents of inappropriate behaviour
Question your own stereotypes and learn more about others
Value the contributions that different points of view can bring to your workplace
Where to Get More Information
Another way to foster a safe and positive work environment is to provide Ally training. An Ally is someone who is informed about and is sensitive towards those who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or two-spirited, is understanding of their issues, and affirms their experiences and rights. Those who complete the training program in good faith and have a genuine interest in the goals and mission of the program are encouraged to become an Ally, but there is no obligation. Contact the Sexuality Education Resource Centre for additional resources and information about Diversity Training for your organization, business, or school.
3 comments:
very well written my dear. shame on them for not publishing it...
So Brandon in general's not too bad, it's the papers that don't want to touch your articles?
Well 'Sun' papers in general tend to suck the big suck...
It's appalling how many people still seem to think that being nasty towards GLTBQ folks is some sort of moral virtue.
I was just remembering yesterday about an incident from my chequered past. About a JW I knew back in the day. I overheard say, rage vibrating through his voice, that as a personnel manager at the Mint, he had made sure and would make sure that one of THOSE PEOPLE never got hired.
Or the kindly old JW nurse who, when at a hospital-wide talk by Glen Murray against homophobia, stood up and attacked him, finishing with this brilliant argument: "Look, Jehovah created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!" She related this to us later with a great deal of pride in her voice.
Or the gay-bashing incidents that some of the drunken JW hangers-on were implicated in (though they were at least disciplined.)
Sigh. [starts to say more about that kind of hatred and then just shakes his head.]
Good work! I salute your hard work and worthy efforts. Maybe you should call the Sun and hassle them a bit? Or leak the story to the Free Press so it can look down on the Brandon Sun a bit?
I did email to find out what happened. This is what I said:
"I just looked through today's Brandon Sun and was very disappointed to see that the article I submitted to you for National Day Against Homophobia was not printed. Could you please let me know what happened, as you agreed more than a month ago to run the article and I submitted it to you a week in advance."
There was some discussion about whether not publishing it, or choosing to publish something else is a form of homophobia. Brandon is as bad/good as anywhere else, I think, but the BS has a very conservative bent. They seem okay with running enviro articles, but I think this incident is telling.
Post a Comment