Yesterday I took advantage of the beautiful weather, and rode my bike (old one… new bike hasn’t arrived yet) to the store to buy the Bedouin Soundclash CD. O had downloaded a few of their songs over the weekend, and now I’m hooked.
They are a very pleasing blend of dub, reggae and ska with touches of gypsy, techno, pop, samba, calypso and soccer chants. I can hear snippets of the Jackson 5, Culture Club, Paul Simon’s Graceland, Bob Marley, Toots and the Maytals… yet they sound like none of these.
Poor Andy Stochansky has been usurped.
7 comments:
Hrm. No doubt due to some weird contractual stuff, I can't yet download Bedouin Soundclash on Emusic. There's an album there but only 'Mericans can listen to it.
They were here in Winnipeg earlier this year.
When I listened to samples their style struck me as a light, insubstantial sound, none too heavy on the bass... But I'm going to to give them another try.
I find their name a bit confusing because Badawi released an album called "Bedouin Sound Clash" way back in 1996: http://www.emusic.com/album/10815/10815154.html
I thought the name was a bit weird too. Sort of expected them to sound a bit more north African, I guess! Is it a homage to Badawi? Doesn't seem like it could be a coincidence.
Some of their songs are a bit light. And as far as dub goes, I would say they have some dub influences rather than that they are dub.
You crazy music talkin' folk. It's all japanese to me. Dub, gypsy. Actually, I know what all the rest means so I'm not THAT dumb. I watched them perform on Canada AM and the Junos and they were consistantly good both times. And they are all CUTE, CUTE, CUTE! Therefore, they have won me over. But since I only buy cure and coldplay albums, I guess they're out of luck.
Mama D - I'll bring my CD over next time I come for a visit.
i've got to get you to make me a mix sometime. i feel so out of the loop! (r they candian?)
can i spell?? c-a-n-a-d-i-a-n...!
They are Canadian. From your old stomping grounds, I believe.
Post a Comment